Carl ZEISS Meditec MEL 90TM EXCIMER LASER
ZEISS-MEL-90-EXCIMER-LASER – ZEISS camera lenses were recognized as the world’s highest quality after their introduction in the 1800s. In the late 1980s, ZEISS optical lenses became the technology of choice for the developers of vision correction lasers.
Carl Zeiss Meditec has been a refractive surgery pioneer for more than 20 years.
Combining its finest optics with the most advanced excimer laser technology available, Carl Zeiss Meditec brings you laser vision correction with the MEL 90. “MEL” stands for “Meditec Excimer Laser.”
The MEL 90 excimer laser is taking vision correction to a new level. By reshaping the human cornea to its most natural shape during treatment, your vision can now be similar to the quality of lenses on which Carl Zeiss has built its reputation. The goal is to deliver high resolution vision with a custom treatment unique to your prescription. Carl Zeiss engineers created this advanced vision correcting technique using the latest wavefront technology innovations. This scientific method takes into consideration not only the clarity of vision from the shape of your eye, but it also treats other irregularities within your eye that may prevent you from having a higher quality of vision. One of the fastest excimer lasers in the world, your treatment is completed within seconds.
What differentiates Carl Zeiss Meditec?
Carl Zeiss commitment to delivering superior optics with laser precision. The MEL 90 is yet another powerful example of this commitment, delivering high performance and exceptional visual results-all day and all night.
- MEL 90’s aberration-optimized algorithms minimize spherical aberration that causes night vision problems
- Mel 90 ensures minimal ablation depth and also guarantees gentle correction with excellent predictability for patients with high or very low ametropia
- Mel 90 laser achieves an intraoperative ablation speed of 1 diopter in only 1.3 seconds with a laser frequency of 500 Hz. This reduces active treatment time, increasing comfort for the patient.
- The Mel 90 has a flying spot laser with a laser beam diameter of only 0.7 millimetres. This means that the cornea is modeled with extreme exactness, resulting in a smooth surface.
Patient Satisfaction, Comfort, and Confidence
The MEL 90 excimer laser offers high performance and considers patient comfort. It safely and significantly reduces treatment time, providing benefits for both surgeon and patient:
- Reduced stromal bed exposure minimizes dehydration and accelerates regeneration
- A thermally-optimized laser firing pattern protects the stroma despite high ablation speed
- The ability to create a precise, aspheric corneal curvature
- Patients need to concentrate on the fixation light for only a few seconds
Better for the Eye
With the tiniest spot size and its Gaussian beam profile the MEL 90 produces matchless quality in corneal ablation – exact, even and protective of the surrounding tissue. Even in complex ablation procedures, the large overlap of the laser spot zones yields very smooth surfaces.
The Mel 90 features the Triple-A Advanced Ablation Algorithm. As a single ablation profile for a wide range of sphero-cylindrical corrections, it simplifies treatment planning. Triple-A offers a high degree of precision and predictability. In addition to intelligent energy correction, it comprises an aspherically optimized design that also focuses on minimal tissue removal. It also guarantees gentle correction with excellent predictability with high or very high ametropia. All combined into one single ablation algorithm: Triple-A.
The Mel 90 has the following benefits:
- The MEL 90 is one of the fastest excimer lasers currently available. Its speed results in faster treatment times, less discomfort during the procedure and faster healing times.
- The stromal bed is only open for a short period; this prevents dehydration and speeds up the regeneration process.
- The thermally-optimized distribution of the laser firing pattern protects the stroma – despite the high ablation speed.
- Patients’ stress is relieved; they only need to concentrate for a few seconds on the fixation light.
- Very small 0.7 mm spot permits the finest correction without losing the benefits of a small ablation.
- An active eye tracker with excellent feedback times and a camera catching both pupil and limbus provides exact positioning during the laser treatment.