DRY EYE TREATMENT
How do we determine if you are suffering from Dry Eye?
In our Dry Eye Clinic we will conduct a series of uations and determine the likely cause of your Dry Eye symptoms.
First, you will complete a Dry Eye lifestyle questionnaire- this brief assessment allows us to to understand how your eyes feel on a daily basis.
If the questionnaire indicates symptoms beyond mild, we will proceed with LipView®– this technology allows the physician to uate the lipid (oil) layer on your eye.
Here’s how it works: LipiView® takes extremely detailed images of your eye’s tear film.
Dry Eye Treatment – The procedure is non-invasive, can be performed in our office, and takes less than five minutes. If you’ve ever had a comprehensive eye exam, LipiView® will feel similar. The tear film can be clearly seen as an array of colors that are reflected when a light source is directed towards the front surface of the eye. Readings instantly calculated and displayed on the LipiView® monitor.
Typically, our physician will perform a Meibomian gland uation.
LipiView® is an imaging device that is intended for use by a physician in adult patients to capture images of tear film. The following conditions may affect assessment of patient’s tear film using LipiView®
- Use of ophthalmic drops such as artificial tear lubricants, ointments and medications. Patients should not use oil based ophthalmic drops (e.g.,soothe®, Restasis®) for at least 12 hours prior to Lipiview® assessment. Patients should not use ointments 24 hours prior to LipiView® use. Patients should wait at least 4 hours after the instillation of all other ophthalmic drops prior to Lipiview® use.
- Soft or rigid contacts contact lens wear. Patients should remove contact lenses at least 4 hours prior to device use.
- Use of oil based facial cosmetics around the eye.
- Eye rubbing.
- Recent swimming in chlorinated pool. Patients should not swim for at least 12 hours prior to LipiView® use.
- Any ocular surface condition disease, dystrophy, trauma, scarring, surgery or abnormality.
Following these uations, we will determine whether or not you have evaporative Dry Eye or Meibomian Gland Dysfunction and if you are a candidate for LipiFlow®
LipiFlow® the groundbreaking treatment, addresses the cause of Evaporative Dry Eye
The LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation System by TearScience® is a significant technological shift managing evaporative dry eye, with a single procedure, applying a combination of directed heat and pulsatile pressure, many find a single treatment effective in relieving the blockage of their Meibomian glands. The LipiFlow® System is intended for the application of localized heat and pressure therapy in adult patients with evaporative dry eye. Opening the blocked gland may allow your body to resume its natural production of tear film oil.
LipiFlow® treatment is clinically proven with sustained results. In a clinical study about 79% of patients reported an improvement in overall dry eye symptoms after a single LipiFlow® treatment. Depending on the severity of your specific condition and your response to treatment, you may need to repeat the LipiFlow® treatment periodically as your symptoms return over time.
With LipFlow®- and regular checks and ongoing care to monitor your progress- let us help you experience Dry Eye relief like never before.
What actually happens during a LipiFlow® Dry Eye treatment?
The LipiFlow® Activator (a disposable eyepiece) is inserted under your lower eye lid and is shaped to prevent contact with your cornea. Once in place, you simply recline in the treatment chair and experience the 12 minute procedure.
Why is LipiFlow® superior to other Dry Eye Treatment therapies?
If you are moderate or severe Evaporative Dry Eye sufferer, life can seem like a constant battle to alleviate symptoms. Those drops and warm compresses become a regular ritual. You’ve tried blinking exercises and lid scrubs. And you avoid wearing contact lenses and extended sessions in front of the computer.
- The first and only treatment that addresses the cause of Evaporative Dry Eye at the source, allowing your eyelid glands to produce the oils required for a healthy tear film. Other treatments-warm compresses and drops- just give you temporary symptomatic relief.
- The only treatment that can give you sustained relief through improved gland function. Other treatments require daily, and sometimes even hourly, attention to keep Evaporative Dry Eye under control.
- A powerful step in managing Dry Eye disease, providing symptom relief and helping the stop cycle of Dry Eye deterioration and symptoms.